APIAVote Summer Internship Program
The Asian and Pacific Islander American Vote (APIAVote) is a national nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that encourages and promotes civic participation of Asian American Pacific Islanders (AAPIs) in the electoral and public policy processes at the national, state and local levels. APIAVote envisions a society in which all AAPIs fully participate in and have access to the democratic process.
The APIAVote Internship Program strives to encourage and cultivate young AAPI student leaders to explore a career in the public sector or the political arena. This internship program will also provide hands on experience and training on how to organize and implement voter activities to increase the participation of AAPIs in the electoral process. For the Summer of 2012, we are offering 5 paid internships out of our Washington D.C. office.
- East Coast Asian American Student Union (ECAASU) Internship
- Midwest Asian American Students Union (MAASU) Internship
- National Asian Pacific Islander American Panhellenic Association (NAPA) Internship
- Empowering Pacific Islander Communities (EPIC) Internship
Must be a student at an university or college that is a member of ECAASU or MAASU or a member of NAPA or EPIC. These four internships will focus specifically on youth leadership and activism. Applicants selected for these internships will collectively work on the implementation of APIAVote’s Youth campaign. This will include identifying, recruiting, and training student organizers to implement voter engagement activities and developing campaign materials. These interns will also maintain communications with the leadership of the various youth networks. Duties include assisting APIAVote in organizing the 2012 Presidential Townhall and their AAPI events at the Democratic National Convention and Republican National Convention.
General Internship: This internship is opened to any student looking to support APIAVote’s various programs.
The internship program is tailored per organizational needs and intern skills. Interns may work on any of the following areas: Communications/Technology (new media and traditional), Graphic Design, Field (working with APIAVote partners to mobilize for elections), Policy (research and advocate for policy recommendations), Training (Norman Y. Mineta Leadership Training Institute), or Youth (engaging and organizing our youth coalitions.)
Requirements for all Internship Applicants:
- College or graduate student
- Leadership abilities
- Oral and written communication skills
- Dedicated to promoting civic participation of AAPIs in the electoral and public policy processes
Applications must include:
- Application form
- Resume including Education, Work Experience, Political Experience, Extracurricular Activities, Awards/Honors
- Copy of most current academic transcript
- One page typed essay on your interest in the internship program and describe “What does civic engagement meant to you?”
- Two letters of references
Stipend: $2500 Deadline: Friday May 4, 2012
Send your complete application via e-mail or snail-mail to: APIAVote Attn: Christine Chen PO Box 101268, Arlington, VA 22210 or email@example.com