APIAVote is a national nonpartisan organization that works with local nonprofit partners to mobilize Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in electoral and civic participation. We currently have local partnerships with Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander organizations in 26 regions and states.
Founded in 1996, APIAVote encourages and promotes civic participation of Asian Pacific Islander Americans in the electoral and public policy processes at the national, state and local levels. APIAVote envisions a society in which all Asian and Pacific Islander Americans fully participate in and have access to the democratic process.
- You believe in community building and the value of civic engagement
- You like teamwork, but can work independently day-to-day
- You can plan and manage complex projects under high pressured deadlines
- You are low-ego and high-output
- You like working hard with a hard working team
PROGRAMS ASSOCIATE: APIAVote is hiring a candidate who is an organizer, has a background working with college/university students, and has experience in implementing programs. This is a full time permanent position with a compensation and benefits package.
LOCATION: For immediate hire in Washington, DC.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 1st or until filled
SALARY: Entry Level
- Assist the Program Manager with the APIAVote Ambassador Program through curriculum development, facilitation, and execution;
- Spearhead APIAVote’s volunteer programs;
- Manage the APIAVote internship program;
- Manage logistics with the Program Manager of all APIAVote programming;
- Coordinate with national AAPI student network to build civic based coalitions;
- Support the Program Manager and the Executive Director in developing relationships on various campuses and universities;
- Conduct training across the country for new leaders and volunteers to implement specific campus based program to boost youth engagement;
- Provide support to APIAVote’s programs including the Norman Y. Mineta Leadership trainings, fundraising events and other programs;
- Assist with the planning and coordination of APIAVote meetings and other programming or events;
- Assist National Field Director with VAN voter file management and Phone banking efforts
- Manage administrative duties as assigned, including but not limited to: updating organizational standard operating procedures, coordinating meetings, and answering general inquiries;;
- Contribute to special projects and other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Background in organizing on college/university campuses
- Expertise in community organizing strategy and tactics, preferably in non-partisan issue based organizing and grassroots activism
- Considerable experience in youth organizing and student leadership development
- Solid understanding of and experience with social media and digital campaigns
- Experience as an organizer and track record in coordinating a number of programs simultaneously
- Ability to tap into your own personal base and network, as well as quickly develop new ones for APIAVote’s programs
- Detail oriented yet have the ability to multitask
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team
- Proven ability to multitask and work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Committed to the mission and goals of APIAVote, and actively practices inclusion and understanding the diverse needs of the AAPI community
- Strong supporter of coalition building
- Eager, curious, and capable of learning quickly; ideally interested in pursuing a career in nonprofits.
- Demonstrate a high degree of initiatives and capable of working independently to achieve short-term and long-term goals
- Results-driven, excellent time- and project-management skills, ability to complete assignments in a timely manner
- Excellent organizational skills with keen attention to detail in meeting ongoing responsibilities
- Capable of working independently to achieve short- and long-term goals
- Ability to remain calm and work in a fast-paced environment
- Action oriented and enjoys using one’s general problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in Google Apps, Microsoft Office,
- Proficiency in Adobe creative suite is preferred
- Previous campaign experience is a plus
We will be conducting interviews on a rolling basis and will accept applications until September 1st or until filled. Please email your resume, two references and cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for the position and send all attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. APIAVote provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. For more information on APIAVote, please go to www.APIAVote.org.
Summer Internship Deadline: March 1, 2018
Rolling Deadline for spring and fall unpaid internships.
Communications/Technology (new media and traditional),
Field (working with APIAVote partners to mobilize for elections),
Research and Policy (research and advocate for policy recommendations),
Training (Norman Y. Mineta Leadership Training Institute), or
Youth (engaging and organizing our youth coalitions)
College or graduate student
Oral and written communication skills
Dedicated to promoting civic participation of AAPIs in the electoral and public policy processes
Submission of online application form
In the online form, submit a 500 word essay on the question: "Why are you interested in the APIAVote internship program and what are tangible steps or ideas you can do to increase AAPI youth civic engagement?"
Resume including Education, Work Experience, Political Experience, Extracurricular Activities, Awards/Honors
Two letters of references
Rolling Deadline for spring and fall unpaid internships.