Field and Research Associate
APIAVote is a national nonpartisan organization that works with local nonprofit partners to mobilize Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in electoral and civic participation. We currently have local partnerships with Asian American and Pacific Islander organizations in 28 regions and states.
Founded in 1996, APIAVote encourages and promotes civic participation of Asian Pacific Islander Americans in the electoral and public policy processes at the national, state and local levels. APIAVote envisions a society in which all Asian American and Pacific Islanders fully participate in and have access to the democratic process.
- You believe in community building and the value of civic engagement
- You like teamwork, but can work independently day-to-day
- You can plan and manage complex projects under high pressure deadlines
- You are low-ego and high-output
- You can solve practical problems and apply independent judgment;
- You like working hard with a hard working team
FIELD AND RESEARCH ASSOCIATE:
APIAVote is hiring a candidate who has a background in gathering, analyzing, and reporting political data; electoral/community organizing; planning and executing campaigns (including voter registration, GOTV, and voter education); and coalition building. This is a full-time permanent position with a compensation and benefits package.
LOCATION: For immediate hire in Washington, DC. Remote candidates will also be considered. Currently all staff are working remotely until further notice.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Upload materials to https://apia.vote/2021Field by Wednesday, September 29, 2021 at 6:00PM EST. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2-3 years’ experience in political data, electoral/community organizing, campaign experience, coalition building, or related experience.
- Bachelor’s degree.
REPORTS TO: National Field Director
SALARY: $37,000-$45,000 (0-4 years experience)
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Assist National Field Director with voter file management (VAN)
- Gather, analyze, and report relevant data from the U.S. Census, TargetSmart, Catalist, and other data vendors and develop talking points relating thereto
- Assist National Field Director with planning and executing direct voter contact programs (i.e. phone banking, text banking, door-to-door canvassing, digital ad targeting, direct mail, robocalls, etc.)
- Provide training and technical support for our community partners
- Conduct trainings across the country for new leaders and volunteers to implement specific voter engagement programs
- Manage and provide logistical support to APIAVote’s events and programs including the Norman Y. Mineta Leadership trainings
- Manage and design our multilingual direct mail program
- Work in conjunction with the Programs Associate(s) to support APIAVote’s Ambassador program;
- Support the National Field Director in developing relationships community partners, ally groups and campuses and universities;
- Manage and train volunteers
- Manage and implement the AAPI voter protection hotline
- Attend coalition meetings as related to our civic engagement and field work
- Attend and present at conferences
- Provide support on our social media campaigns, as needed, under the guidance of our Development and Communications Director
- Contribute to special projects and other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent oral, written and verbal communication
- 2-3 years of experience in community organizing strategy and tactics, preferably in non-partisan issue based organizing and grassroots activism
- 2-3 years of experience in gathering, analyzing, and reporting political data (i.e., Citizen Voting Age Population, voter turnout rates, race/ethnicity data, etc.)
- Solid understanding of and experience with social media and digital campaigns
- Experience as an organizer and track record in coordinating a number of programs simultaneously
- Detail-oriented, yet have the ability to multitask
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team
- Proven ability to multitask and work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Committed to the mission and goals of APIAVote, and actively practices inclusion and understanding the diverse needs of the AANHPI community
- Strong supporter of coalition building
- Eager, curious, and capable of learning quickly; ideally interested in pursuing a career in nonprofits
- Demonstrate a high degree of initiatives and capable of working independently to achieve short-term and long-term goals
- Results-driven, excellent time- and project-management skills, ability to complete assignments in a timely manner
- Excellent organizational skills with keen attention to detail in meeting ongoing responsibilities
- Capable of working independently to achieve short- and long-term goals
- Ability to remain calm and work in a fast-paced environment
- Action-oriented and enjoys using one’s general problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in Google Apps, Microsoft Office, AirTable, and other online tools
- Proficiency in VAN
- Proficiency in Adobe creative suite is preferred
- Previous campaign experience is a plus
We will be conducting interviews on a rolling basis and will accept applications until Wednesday, September 29, or until filled. Please upload your resume, minimum of two references and cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for the position to https://apia.vote/2021Field. APIAVote provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. For more information about APIAVote, please go to www.APIAVote.org.