Field and Research Associate
APIAVote is a national nonpartisan organization that works with local nonprofit partners to mobilize Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in electoral and civic participation. We currently have local partnerships with Asian American and Pacific Islander organizations in 28 regions and states.
Incorporated in 2007, APIAVote encourages and promotes civic participation of Asian Pacific Islander Americans in the electoral and public policy processes at the national, state and local levels. APIAVote envisions a society in which all Asian American and Pacific Islanders fully participate in and have access to the democratic process.
- You believe in community building and the value of civic engagement
- You like teamwork, but can work independently day-to-day
- You can plan and manage complex projects under high pressure deadlines
- You are low-ego and high-output
- You can solve practical problems and apply independent judgment;
- You like working hard with a hard working team
FIELD AND RESEARCH ASSOCIATE:
APIAVote is hiring a candidate who has a background in gathering, analyzing, and reporting political data; electoral/community organizing; planning and executing campaigns (including voter registration, GOTV, and voter education); and coalition building. This is a full-time permanent position with a compensation and benefits package.
LOCATION: For immediate hire in Washington, DC. Remote candidates will also be considered. Currently all staff are working remotely until further notice.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2-3 years’ experience in political data, electoral/community organizing, campaign experience, coalition building, or related experience.
- Bachelor’s degree.
REPORTS TO: National Field Director
SALARY: $37,000-$45,000 (0-4 years experience)
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Assist National Field Director with voter file management (VAN)
- Gather, analyze, and report relevant data from the U.S. Census, TargetSmart, Catalist, and other data vendors and develop talking points relating thereto
- Assist National Field Director with planning and executing direct voter contact programs (i.e. phone banking, text banking, door-to-door canvassing, digital ad targeting, direct mail, robocalls, etc.)
- Provide training and technical support for our community partners
- Conduct trainings across the country for new leaders and volunteers to implement specific voter engagement programs
- Manage and provide logistical support to APIAVote’s events and programs including the Norman Y. Mineta Leadership trainings
- Manage and design our multilingual direct mail program
- Work in conjunction with the Programs Associate(s) to support APIAVote’s Ambassador program;
- Support the National Field Director in developing relationships community partners, ally groups and campuses and universities;
- Manage and train volunteers
- Manage and implement the AAPI voter protection hotline
- Attend coalition meetings as related to our civic engagement and field work
- Attend and present at conferences
- Provide support on our social media campaigns, as needed, under the guidance of our Development and Communications Director
- Contribute to special projects and other duties as assigned.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Upload materials to https://apia.vote/2021Field by Monday, August 16, 2021 at 6:00PM EST. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis.
The full job announcement, including all requested materials, can be found here.
Asian and Pacific Islander American Vote (APIAVote) is a national nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that encourages and promotes civic participation of Asian American Pacific Islanders (AAPIs) in the electoral and public policy processes at the national, state and local levels. APIAVote envisions a society in which all AAPIs fully participate in and have access to the democratic process.
- programming experience (student organizing or conference experience a plus)
- ability to work on a team
- strong writing skills
- administrative experience
- demonstrated interest in empowering the AAPI community
Additional skills (plus, but not required):
- Graphic Design skills (or literacy with the Adobe Suite)
- Experience working with or at a non-profit
- Leadership experience
- Perform assignments from the Executive Director
- Manage or assist with administrative tasks
- Attend events or meetings on behalf of the organization focused on votings rights, election reform & redistricting.
- Event management: create promotional materials and assist in developing programming for our annual Congressional Reception
- Develop and draft internal and external documents and materials to build or retain relationships with donors, volunteers, community members, and other supporters of the organization.
- Curate daily press clips on relevant news and public policy issues for the Communications manager.
- Help develop programming and curriculums for APIAVote's youth initiatives
- Outreach – Increase awareness of APIAVote's goals and the mission it serves to as wide of an audience as possible.
- Organize - Assist in recruiting from one's network to participate in APIAVote's regional trainings
Summer Internship Deadline: March 19, 2021 at 11:59 pm PST
Rolling Deadline for winter, spring, and fall unpaid internships.
Currently enrolled undergraduate/graduate student or recent graduate.
Oral and written communication skills
Dedicated to promoting civic participation of AAPIs in the electoral and public policy processes
Submission of online application form
In the online form, submit a 500-word essay on the question: "Why are you interested in the APIAVote internship program and what are tangible steps or ideas you can do to increase AAPI youth civic engagement?"
Resume including Education, Work Experience, Political Experience, Extracurricular Activities, Awards/Honors
Two letters of references