- Field and Program Associate
- Two Summer Interns
APIAVote is a national nonpartisan organization that works with local nonprofit partners to mobilize Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in electoral and civic participation. We currently have local partnerships with Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander organizations in 28 regions and states.
Founded in 1996, APIAVote encourages and promotes civic participation of Asian Pacific Islander Americans in the electoral and public policy processes at the national, state and local levels. APIAVote envisions a society in which all Asian and Pacific Islander Americans fully participate in and have access to the democratic process.
- You believe in community building and the value of civic engagement
- You like teamwork, but can work independently day-to-day
- You can plan and manage complex projects under high pressured deadlines
- You are low-ego and high-output
- You can solve practical problems and apply independent judgment;
- You like working hard with a hard-working team
FIELD AND PROGRAM ASSOCIATE
APIAVote is hiring a candidate who has a background in organizing and has experience in campaign initiatives, GOTV events and large-scale events. This is a full time permanent position with a compensation and benefits package.
LOCATION: For immediate hire in Washington, DC. but open to working remotely
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 24 or until filled
Required Education and Experience:
- 2-3 years experience in organizing, campaign experience or related experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- SALARY: Entry Level
- Assist National Field Director with voter file management (VAN) and phone banking efforts;
- Provide training and technical support for our community partners
- Manage and design our multilingual mail program
- Work in conjunction with the Programs Associate to support APIAVote’s Ambassador program;
- Support the Executive Director in developing relationships community partners, ally groups and campuses and universities;
- Conduct trainings across the country for new leaders and volunteers to implement specific voter engagement programs
- Manage and provide logistical support to APIAVote’s event and programs including the Norman Y. Mineta Leadership trainings
- Manage and train volunteers
- Manage and implement the AAPI voter protection hotline and census hotline
- Attend coalition meetings as related to our voter engagement and field work
- Attend and present at conferences
- Provide support on our social media campaigns under the guidance of our communications associate
- Contribute to special projects and other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Expertise in community organizing strategy and tactics, preferably in non-partisan issue based organizing and grassroots activism
- Solid understanding of and experience with social media and digital campaigns
- Experience as an organizer and track record in coordinating a number of programs simultaneously
- Detail oriented yet have the ability to multitask
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team
- Proven ability to multitask and work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Committed to the mission and goals of APIAVote, and actively practices inclusion and understanding the diverse needs of the AAPI community
- Strong supporter of coalition building
- Eager, curious, and capable of learning quickly; ideally interested in pursuing a career in nonprofits.
- Demonstrate a high degree of initiatives and capable of working independently to achieve short-term and long-term goals
- Results-driven, excellent time and project management skills, ability to complete assignments in a timely manner
- Excellent organizational skills with keen attention to detail in meeting ongoing responsibilities
- Capable of working independently to achieve short- and long-term goals
- Ability to remain calm and work in a fast-paced environment
- Action oriented and enjoys using one’s general problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in Google Apps, Microsoft Office, and other online tools
- Proficiency in Adobe creative suite is preferred
- Previous campaign experience is a plus
Application Process: We will be conducting interviews on a rolling basis and will accept applications until February 24, 2020 or until filled. Please email your resume, two references and cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for the position and send all attachments to email@example.com. APIAVote provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. For more information on APIAVote, please go to www.APIAVote.org.
Asian and Pacific Islander American Vote (APIAVote) is a national nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that encourages and promotes civic participation of Asian American Pacific Islanders (AAPIs) in the electoral and public policy processes at the national, state and local levels. APIAVote envisions a society in which all AAPIs fully participate in and have access to the democratic process.
- programming experience (student organizing or conference experience a plus)
- ability to work on a team
- strong writing skills
- administrative experience
- demonstrated interest in empowering the AAPI community
Additional skills (plus, but not required):
- Graphic Design skills (or literacy with the Adobe Suite)
- Experience working with or at a non-profit
- Leadership experience
- Perform assignments from the Executive Director
- Manage or assist with administrative tasks
- Attend events or meetings on behalf of the organization
- Event management: create promotional materials and assist in developing programming for our annual Congressional Reception
- Develop and draft internal and external documents and materials to build or retain relationships with donors, volunteers, community members, and other supporters of the organization.
- Curate daily press clips on relevant news and public policy issues for the Communications manager.
- Help develop themes and messaging for our national mail program
- Outreach – Increase awareness of APIAVote's goals and the mission it serves to as wide of an audience as possible.
Summer Internship Deadline: March 27, 2020
Rolling Deadline for winter, spring, and fall unpaid internships.
Currently enrolled undergraduate/graduate student or recent graduate.
Oral and written communication skills
Dedicated to promoting civic participation of AAPIs in the electoral and public policy processes
Submission of online application form
In the online form, submit a 500-word essay on the question: "Why are you interested in the APIAVote internship program and what are tangible steps or ideas you can do to increase AAPI youth civic engagement?"
Resume including Education, Work Experience, Political Experience, Extracurricular Activities, Awards/Honors
Two letters of references
Rolling Deadline for spring and fall unpaid internships.