APIAVote is a national nonpartisan organization that works with local nonprofit partners to mobilize Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in electoral and civic participation. We currently have local partnerships with Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander organizations in 27 regions and states.
Founded in 1996, APIAVote encourages and promotes civic participation of Asian Pacific Islander Americans in the electoral and public policy processes at the national, state and local levels. APIAVote envisions a society in which all Asian and Pacific Islander Americans fully participate in and have access to the democratic process.
- You believe in community building and the value of civic engagement
- You like teamwork, but can work independently day-to-day
- You can plan and manage complex projects under high pressured deadlines
- You are low-ego and high-output
- You like working hard with a hard working team
COMMUNICATIONS AND POLICY ASSOCIATE: APIAVote is hiring for a candidate who is detailed oriented and has experience in communications and policy. This is a full time permanent position with a competitive compensation and benefits package.
LOCATION: For immediate hire in Washington, DC.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: AUGUST 15, 2018 or until filled
SALARY: Entry Level
- Responsible for working with the Executive Director in fulfilling APIAVote’s communication and policy initiatives
- Assist the executive director in writing grant reports and proposals
- Manage record-keeping on programmatic activities and achievements for use in reports to stakeholders.
- Implement various communication strategies to support donor cultivation and ensure APIAVote stakeholders are updated on our activities, priorities and needs.
- Draft and develop weekly online newsletters
- Responsible for writing press releases, editorials, and reports
- Design APIAVote’s mail pieces and other materials for voter education
- Spearhead and coordinate translation needs
- Maintain updates for the website and develop ongoing new content
- Manage APIAVote’s social media presence. At minimum have the ability to effectively post on Twitter and Facebook and Instagram. Understanding of WeChat is a bonus but not required.
- Support the executive director in the organization’s work and relationship with the traditional and social media outlets
- Develop, write and design marketing materials, reports, fact sheets and infographics
- Assist in developing, coordinating, and advancing APIAVote’s policy and legislative work on voting rights, election administration and census
- Draft policy statements, press releases, talking points, testimony, community toolkits and other resources
- Assist our local partners in organizing local town hall meetings with elected officials to address AAPI issue priorities
- Manage the 888-API-Vote Hotline and work with volunteers to respond to calls
- Contribute to special projects and other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Exceptionally strong writing, research and analytical skills
- Detail oriented yet have the ability to multitask
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team.
- Proven ability to multitask and work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Committed to the mission and goals of APIAVote
- Embrace and actively practice inclusion and understanding the diverse needs of the AAPI community
- Strong supporter of coalition building
- Proficient in Google Apps, Microsoft Office, and graphic design software
- Exceptionally strong written and editing skills as well as verbal communication skills; a writing sample will be required.
- Results-driven, excellent time- and project-management skills, ability to complete assignments in a timely manner.
- Excellent organizational skills with keen attention to detail in meeting ongoing responsibilities.
- Eager, curious, and capable of learning quickly; ideally interested in pursuing a career in nonprofit development.
- Capable of identifying and solving problems to improve development operations.
- Capable of working independently to achieve short- and long-term goals.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- Ability to keep calm and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Action oriented and enjoys using one’s general problem-solving skills.
- You are adept at figuring out creative ways of leveraging technology to make the organization more efficient
Please email your resume and cover letter by AUGUST 15, 2018 and explain why you are a good fit for the position you are seeking to fill and other attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be conducting interviews on a rolling basis and will accept applications until filled. APIAVote provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. For more information on APIAVote, please go to www.APIAVote.org.