APIAVote is a national nonpartisan organization that works with local nonprofit partners to mobilize Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in electoral and civic participation. We currently have local partnerships with Asian American and Pacific Islander organizations in 28 regions and states.
Founded in 1996, APIAVote encourages and promotes civic participation of Asian Pacific Islander Americans in the electoral and public policy processes at the national, state and local levels. APIAVote envisions a society in which all Asian American and Pacific Islanders fully participate in and have access to the democratic process.
- You believe in community building and the value of civic engagement
- You like teamwork, but can work independently day-to-day
- You can plan and manage complex projects under high pressure deadlines
- You are low-ego and high-output
- You can solve practical problems and apply independent judgment;
- You like working hard with a hard working team
Strategic Communications Manager
STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER: The Strategic Communications Manager is a new role at APIAVote that will play an important part in elevating the organization and advancing our mission. This individual will work closely with the Director of Operations and Development to develop and execute strategy, monitor internal and external communications, and provide communications support to our field operations. This position will have one direct report and is a full-time permanent position with a compensation and benefits package.
LOCATION: For immediate hire in Washington, DC. Remote candidates will also be considered. Currently all staff are working remotely until further notice.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, September 17, 2021 at 6:00PM EST. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis.
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations Development
SALARY: $55,000 - $65,000 (Commensurate with experience and qualifications)
The Strategic Communications Manager will be actively involved in a variety of activities, including the following:
- Create media materials including press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, and advisories.
- Work in collaboration with the Communications Associate to develop and drive strategic social media campaigns that advance APIAVote objectives and oversee digital content for social, paid, and owned media.
- Work in collaboration with APIAVote staff and the Director of Operations and Development to devise and execute strategic communication plans that draw upon traditional media relations tactics, while integrating innovative uses of digital platforms and content to reach various audiences.
- Mentor and lead a Communications Associate who is responsible for managing APIAVote’s social media, disinformation monitoring, newsletter, and press releases.
- Manage and prepare APIAVote’s management team for media opportunities such as press conferences, interviews, and editorial board meetings.
- In collaboration with the Director of Operations and Development, develop and drive proactive strategic communications plans, while maximizing rapid-response opportunities to shape the narrative on voting rights and the AAPI electorate.
- Develop and disseminate talking points to support APIAVote’s team and network of community-based partners.
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will have:
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, with a strong customer service mentality and high degree of integrity, accountability, and emotional intelligence.
- At least 3 years of experience in communication, public relations, and/or marketing
- An understanding of the news cycle, how the media landscape is changing and apply that to APIAVote and its strategies;
- An understanding of social media strategy and activation as a tool for both reputation management and engagement and promotion of APIAVote, its impact, and leadership;
- An understanding of how to maintain media relationships and the skills to identify and seek out additional, industry-specific media contacts and begin the process of developing these important relationships;
- Skills as a verbal communicator, writer, and strategist, who not only understands the tactics of the PR business (.i.e. pitches, interviews, social media), but also has the experience to know when and how to apply them, depending on the need or situation;
- Experience managing organizational resources to support communications goals and objectives
- Ability to work independently with and advising various teams
- Strong interpersonal skills such as tact and diplomacy.
- Excellent attention to detail and highly organized. Demonstrated ability to work in high-pressure environment, prioritize, and meet competing deadlines
- A high level of professionalism and time management capacities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google and project management software (i.e., AirTable). Must be comfortable with the internet and using common online resources.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to take a thoughtful approach to addressing challenges.
We will be conducting interviews on a rolling basis and will accept applications until September 17, 2021 or until filled. Please upload your resume, two or three writing samples and.or relevant work samples, two references and cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for the position here. APIAVote provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.